DerbyDeals.com Top 5 Kentucky Derby Contenders
1) Verrazano: Verrazano made a big impression on racing fans when he took an allowance race in February by some 16 lengths. After winning the Tampa Bay Derby, Verrazano took the Wood Memorial, solidifying his position as one of the top contenders to win the 2013 Kentucky Derby.
2) Revolutionary: Yet another Todd Pletcher colt that has developed into a serious Derby contender. Revolutionary came from behind to win the Withers Stakes in exciting fashion and did the same in taking the Louisiana Derby. He now sits second in the overall points standings for the Kentucky Derby Championship.
3) Orb: The Shug McGaughey trained colt has bolted to the lead in the Kentucky Derby Championship points standings with a total 150. Orb has done so on the back of two great performances, as he has taken both the Fountain of Youth Stakes and Florida Derby. Fans are not likely to see him again until the Kentucky Derby.
4) Goldencents: Doug O’Neill’s colt is back on track and has won three graded stakes contests in six starts. This horse is co-owned by University of Louisville head basketball coach Rick Pitino and has victories in the Delta Downs Jackpot, Sham Stakes, and the prestigious Santa Anita Derby.
5) Flashback: Bob Baffert’s Derby contender checks in at the fifth spot after finishing second in the San Felipe. He tired at the end due to an early challenge from Goldencents, which caused both horses to wear down and allow Hear the Ghost to bolt past them. Flashback was the winner of the Robert B. Lewis Stakes and ran a close second in the Santa Anita Derby.
Other Colts Of Note: Itsmyluckyday (Plesa), Will Take Charge (Lukas), Vyjack (Rodriguez), Oxbow (Lukas), Uncaptured (Casse), Overanalyze (Pletcher)
Kentucky Derby Championship Series Points Leaders
Java’s War: 122
Lines of Battle: 100
Vyjack & Flashback: 70
Will Take Charge: 60
4 Tied At 50